Thursday, November 4, 2010

Adding Reviewed-by tags to patches

I merge a lot of patches and (thankfully!) I get a lot of Reviewed-by, Acked-by, etc. comments on both my patches and others that I end up merging. Copying those is painful and quiet annoying. Somewhen last year, I stumbled across snipMate which allows you to add autocompletion snippets to vim. My $HOME/.vim/snippets/gitcommit file now looks like this:


snippet ack
Acked-by: ${1}
snippet rev
Reviewed-by: ${1}
snippet sob
Signed-off-by: ${1}
snippet tested
Tested-by: ${1}
snippet me
Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@...>


and the names of the common patch reviewers. So whenever I comment on a patch or I amend a commit after receiving reviews, just typing "rev<space>name alias<space>" is enough to add the Reviewed-by: line.

snipMate is quite powerful but so far I haven't used it much beyond the above. But even just that saved me numerous hours.

No comments: